Why is kefir different than yogurt?
Kefir grains have a complex composition of microbial species with a predominance of lactic acid bacteria while also including acetic bacteria, yeasts, and fungi.
- Kefir has well demonstrated antimicrobial, immunological, anti-tumor and hypocholesterolaemic, anti-hypertensive, and anti diabetic effects, as well as microbiome modulation and b-galactosidase activity. Kefir grains show β-galactosidase enzyme activity, which stays active when consumed. β-galactosidase enzymes found in kefir and yogurt are able to convert gc globulin protein to macrophage activating factors during the fermentation process.
Kefir grain fermentations have been evaluated and a wide variety of bioactive compounds have been observed, such as organic acids, CO2, H2O2, bioactive peptides, exopolysaccharides (kefiran), and bacteriocins. These compounds act independently and together to produce various health benefits. The microbiological and chemical composition of kefir indicates that it is a very complex probiotic, with Lactobacillus species, generally the predominant microorganisms. Kefiran as found in kefir favors the activity of peritoneal macrophages and it also increases peritoneal IgA along with many other benefits including significant anti inflammatory benefits. IgA deficiency is an increasingly common immune deficiency syndrome and is associated with high risk for SIBO and IBD.
- The microorganisms in the kefir grains produce lactic acid, antibiotics and bactericides, which inhibit the development of pathogens. Kefir acts against the pathogenic bacteria salmonella, helicobacter, shigella, staph, e coli, enterobacter, listeria, streptococcus p. , streptococcus f., the fungus Candida albicans and many others.
- Kefir (lactic acid bacteria) inhibits spore formation and aflatoxin produced by Aspergillus, a toxic mold compound.
- The cell-free fraction of kefir or lactic acid bacteria isolated from kefir has been demonstrated to be anti tumoral against gastric, colon, breast, lymphatic and lung cancer.
- Lactic acid bacteria are critical for detox and energy creation as well as having well demonstrated anti inflammatory properties. Probiotic intervention is useful for treatments and conditions that are known to rapidly decrease mucosal glutathione levels like radiation therapy and H. pylori infection.
date nut muffins
Date Nut Muffins are a classic British teatime treat made with sweet dates and toasted walnuts.
Date nut muffins are a handy variation on date nut bread, which originated in Great Britain (specifically Scotland) as a tea time treat. This recipe uses a small amount of brown sugar.