Protein Starved?

Protein energy malnutrition (PEM) is defined as a form of malnutrition due to lack of protein and can be moderate to severe. 

Types of protein malnutrition are:

Kwashiorkor:  Protein malnutrition dominant 

Marasmus: Deficiency in calorie intake 

Marasmic Kwashiorkor: Marked protein deficiency and marked calorie insufficiency, the most severe form (PCM)

Protein Energy Malnutrition

Protein energy malnutrition can have significant lifelong effects Protein malnutrition is detrimental at any point in life, but prenatally it can have significant lifelong effects. Diets that consist of less than 10% protein in utero have also been linked with many brain deficits, including decreased brain weight and impaired communication within the brain. Even mild protein malnutrition has been shown to have lasting significant effects, including:: 

• Decreased brain size with impaired neo cortical plasticity 

• Decreased sperm quality 

• Low Birth Weight 

• Decreased cardiac energy 

• T cell depletion 

• Oxidative stress 

• Increased passive stiffness in skeletal muscles 

The most common co-morbid conditions are diarrhea and malaria but a variety have been noted, including sepsis, severe anemia, pneumonia, tuberculosis, scabies, chronic ear infections, rickets, and keratomalacia.

Associated malnutrition deficiencies

Other severe malnutrition deficiencies associated with kwashiorkor include scurvy, beri beri, pellagra, rickets, vitamin A, E and K deficiency and mineral deficiencies. In addition when humans try to eat like other primates they can not extract enough calories to live healthily.

Up to 50% of women who exclusively eat raw foods develop a lack of menstruation, a sign the body does not have enough energy to support a pregnancy.

yogurt cream cheese cheesecake bites

1/3 c yogurt cheese 

2-3 graham crackers (snapped to smallest size) 1 tbsp. confectioner’s sugar 

1/8 tsp. vanilla extract 

fresh strawberries or any desired fruit

Do not forget to consume your drained acid whey. It can be remixed in yogurt, milk or even water for an energy, immune and repair boost!

whey benefits the gastro system and promotes healing

• Whey proteins exert a therapeutic effect on the gastric mucosa. This effect is due to the presence of sulfhydryl group in amino acid cysteine and its linkage with glutamic acid in the production of glutathione. 

• Wound healing involves the growth of new skin through the use of proteins and their amino acids. The healing process is delayed when there are inadequate amounts of protein or diets high in poor-quality proteins, such as gelatin are present. Whey proteins provide good quality proteins.

How does liquid whey benefit protein calorie malnutrition? Milk and whey proteins have different biological and functional properties 

The typical composition of milk comprises about 3.6% protein, out of which casein predominates at approximately 80% and remaining 20% are whey proteins. Whey proteins are unique, superior proteins with many health benefits.

  • Whey proteins are rapidly absorbed

  • Whey proteins decrease inflammation as compared to casein
  • Whey protein benefits the microbiota 
  • Acid whey activates CNS macrophages
  • Milk whey protein combats iron overload oxidative stress and DNA damage
  • Whey protein reversed iron over load induced DNA damage in leukocytes and colonocytes
  • Whey protein increased lymphocyte glutathione (GSH) in humans
  • Acid whey reverses neurodegenerative and retina inflammation by activating CNS macrophages
  • The lipid fraction of whey free fatty acids specifically inhibit the germination of Candida albicans, a morphologic change associated with pathogenicity.
Remember, no more than 6 teaspoons (25 grams) of added sugar per day for women and 9 teaspoons (38 grams) for men. The AHA limits for children vary depending on their age and caloric needs, but range between 3-6 teaspoons (12 – 25 grams) per day. Children under two should have zero grams of sugar per day.

did you know?

Whey protein increased lymphocyte glutathione (GSH) in humans 

Oral administration of substantive amounts of bovine whey protein enhances the glutathione content in the liver, heart and spleen. This change is moderate but sustained over time and biologically significant. 

This property is restricted to the undenatured conformation of whey protein (bovine colostrum).

September 16

Book overview about the dangers of protein energy malnutrition.

If you like natural health tips like the ones above you can learn more in Immune For Life