Alternavita Magazine© Recipe/How To
Tips About What Makes Store Bought Keﬁr A Better Keﬁr
Keﬁr is one of the few bio active foods that similarly recreates our ancient mammalian milk diet, therefore it is increasingly becoming a necessary addition as a functional food, exceeding all proteins, including plant proteins by producing signiﬁcant health beneﬁt as can not be achieved by soy, grains, ﬁsh or meat in comparison studies. Only whey proteins and un-denatured whey proteins have shown unique antioxidant and metabolic beneﬁt (insulin response) as compared to other proteins.
Choose whole fat mammal milk products
The most important tips in realizing increased beneﬁt of keﬁr are to always choose whole fat mammal milk products. Whole fat mammal milk improves and prevents diabetes and helps obese subjects lose more weight than low fat versions. Whole fat mammal milk fermented dairy products increase energy and endurance. Whole fat mammal milk fermented food products are often hard to ﬁnd, in that event add a tsp. of healthy fat and choose plain. Whole fat dairy products contain fats very similar in make up and proportion to the healthy person, animal and healthy human breast milk. Storage time leads to changes in fatty acid compositions in milk, so that stocked milk can have higher anti-carcinogenic potential due to the high amount of oleic acid.
Daily consumption is necessary
Daily consumption is necessary as the macrophage pool in the intestines requires constant regeneration and some necessary LAB species do not colonize. Lactose and galactose is an important biochemical complex of dairy beneﬁt beyond microbial energy needs.
Avoid sugar laden products
Avoid sugar laden products and always choose plain keﬁr and yogurt products. Studies have shown that the addition of sugar negates much fermented food beneﬁt so if you see little or no beneﬁt to store bought yogurt or keﬁr eliminate this one unnecessary item and add other healthier sweeteners at home if you ﬁnd the sour taste unappealing.
Commercial keﬁrs or starter cultures may be better for some
Commercial keﬁrs or starter cultures may be better for some than keﬁr made from grains. Keﬁr grains have greater numbers of species. Keﬁr grains often pick up unwanted contaminates over time. Keﬁr made from starter can only be used a speciﬁc number of times for the same reasons. Commercial keﬁr products must maintain speciﬁc consistent quality standards. Some severely immune deﬁcient subjects can not tolerate a large variety of organisms in the beginning until the immune system becomes more proﬁcient and sepsis from friendly bacteria has been reported in severe conditions. Any gut dysbiosis should be a warning that the immune system is becoming less proﬁcient and may not be able to correct itself without intervention. Start with low amounts and increase gradually with any food intolerance.
(I personally would assume the ‘regulatory agencies’ know more than they are telling you about the actual numbers of patients suffering ‘immune deficiency syndrome’ and proceed likewise, that is, stick with safest and most easily tolerated on the store shelves kefir and yogurt brands.)
Quick Keﬁr Tips
- Vanilla or unsweetened chocolate can be added as ﬂavoring with no adverse effects as compared to sugar, undigestible ﬁllers or worse, high fructose corn syrup.
- Do not add fruit juices with preservatives to keﬁr.
- Letting whole fruit, even citrus with the peel left on, ferment for about 24 hours in refrigerated keﬁr will increase beneﬁt while reducing sugar content in fruit.
- Fermenting fruit also helps break down ﬁbers and increases friendly yeasts found in the skin of fruits. You can blend fruit and keﬁr in the food processor or blender before fermenting as well to ease digestion of fruit ﬁber.
- To lose weight reduce consumption of all fruit and sugars. Eat fruit sparingly and seasonally.
Keﬁr Properties Of Beneﬁt
A minimum of 8 weeks of daily consumption has been shown to be required to achieve cardiovascular beneﬁt. Beneﬁts to skeletal conditions like osteoporosis were studied for six months or longer. Like whole fat mammal milk beneﬁts of keﬁr increase and are sustained over time. The elderly show increased beneﬁt over their younger counterparts with the addition of whole fat mammal milk to increase phagocytosis.
Milk sugar aka lactose has been shown to be very beneﬁcial for the human body though unlike sucrose, lactose is made up of glucose and galactose. There is no fructose in lactose. It is a healthy disaccharide sugar.
Acid whey is the yellowish-green liquid found on top of milk products like yogurt or sour cream before stirring.
Acid whey contains more than twice the amount of galactose as ‘sweet’ or ‘cheese whey’ making it a beneﬁcial addition to the control of insulin resistance, diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Alpha-lactalbumin is a bioactive milk protein found in acid whey, typically containing 20-25% α-LA. This is nearly equal to that found in human breast milk. Acid whey is a by-product of fermentation and acid coagulation of milk. Commercial acid whey is obtained as a byproduct of making Greek Yogurt. You can obtain acid whey at home by straining yogurt and separating the whey in to a bowl. Due to relatively high levels of riboﬂavin, whey has a characteristic yellowish-green color.
Healthy Chocolate Keﬁr Shake
Everyone loves chocolate and dieters often miss chocolate, ice cream and other sugary chocolate treats. Chocolate milk is great for electrolyte loss after exercise but store bought chocolate powders and drinks are not healthy as they contain immune suppressing ﬁllers like carageenan and high fructose corn syrup. Below is a thick shake like drink to help curb the chocolate cravings while greatly enhancing keﬁr beneﬁt. You can add vanilla instead of chocolate if you prefer.
4 oz. Any plain store bought Keﬁr such as Lifeway®
4 oz. Any plain store bought whole fat yogurt
1/8 – 1/4 c strained liquid whey from yogurt
2-4 oz. Whole fat mammal milk may be added (optional)
1 tsp. Bovine colostrum
1 tsp. Olive oil
1-3 tbsp. Unsweetened Chocolate
1-2 tbsp. Any white sugar, Stevia, Xylitol etc.
Large 16 oz. glass
Dissolve bovine colostrum in olive oil. Add yogurt, chocolate and sugar and stir until oil is incorporated, sugar is dissolved and chocolate is well blended. Add liquid whey and stir until whey is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add Keﬁr and stir until all ingredients are well blended. Add milk if desired and blend all ingredients well.
* Some genetically susceptible individuals may react badly to milk products but this is considered a very rare occurrence and is usually suspected and conﬁrmed while the subject is very young. Intolerance can develop for many reasons later in life not related to severe inherent genetic problems. Galactosemia is one such severe genetic enzymatic dysfunction that can be investigated before undertaking any mammal milk therapy. Conﬁrmed severe lactose or casein allergy can also prevent undertaking mammal milk therapeutics. Age related decline in tolerance is not a hindrance in most cases as the human body can recover lost digestive capability and humans can naturally eat a variety of foods. Bovine colostrum is generally not included among most milk intolerance problems but one should ensure avoidance of all mammal milk products if there is potential for a severe outcome due to an inherent, irreversible, genetic or other severe conﬁrmed allergic problem. Do not give keﬁr to newborns.
Dairy keﬁr has more beneﬁt than water keﬁr or kombucha due to factors beyond microbial beneﬁt that are not replicated in those products.
There is minimal lactose and casein in keﬁr products, therefore keﬁr is more easily tolerated.
Strained yogurt to obtain liquid whey (yellowish-green liquid) has increased lactose and decreased casein.
Alternavita – Right Track News
This recipe/how to post will be available until Oct.