The Alternative Lifestyle
Lifestyle modification for the rest of us that really makes a difference because it meets you where you are
Food is critical to nutrition, beginning with infant food of course. Digestive capability (gut health) is critical to nutrient absorption. No food group alone can replace food variety. Whole fat mammal milk only comes close to providing all nutrients. No food elimination except cutting down on refined foods and excess sugar makes an actual health improvement that is noticeable to health outcomes almost immediately. Probiotics and synbiotics which react differently to different foods and food combinations are fundamental to understanding nutrition. Infant formula is a refined food product. Food intolerance is immune intolerance. True genetic cases of food intolerance that absolutely must be avoided are rare. Infants, children, the elderly, and sick have greater nutrient requirements.
Sleep is critical to detoxification, especially brain detoxification. The glymphatic system is a newly discovered system and it does not activate without sleep. The Circadian clock is also vital to humans as an ancient rhythm of regulating wake/sleep cycles. Colostrum and mammal milk help set the wake/sleep cycle of an infant. Infants and children require frequent naps. The elderly also benefit from naps. Ideal numbers of hours required for sleep are different for each age group and level of daily activity. Deep sleep is restorative. Eliminating nearly all forms of sugar, especially before bed reduces insomnia. Reducing light before bed also helps, especially computer screens. Room temperature should be neither too hot nor too cold.
30 minutes of exercise per day is required to remove excess stores of sugar in cells, and to begin burning fat. In addition movement is required for stem cell migration. That means repair. Any walking is better than being sedentary. Lifting some weight is beneficial to restoring lost muscle mass due to prolonged sedentary lifestyle. Swimming is among the most beneficial, it is easier to do without placing strain, especially on those with injury while exercising nearly all muscle groups. It also creates gentle resistance. Whatever moves you to move, do it.
Sunlight And Fresh Air
Sunlight and fresh air are required for health. Twenty minutes per day of outside air are the minimum requirements for this. 30 minutes is better. At least ten minutes per day in extremely cold weather for infants and elderly. Bundle up if necessary but a daily requirement. Even a walk in the rain provides sunlight and oxygen.
- Among the greatest benefits to mental health is silence. A restorative break from noise pollution is essential. Some forms of meditation are beneficial. You can’t force mindlessness. Hypnotic states and altered consciousness are are not mindlessness. Prayer has a proven beneficial health benefit whether practiced alone or by groups (double blind study). Prayer can be a form of meditation but is not the same as positive thinking.
- Avoiding negativity is beneficial, whether it be crime, war, poverty, violence, destruction or any negative human behavior in the news or entertainment.
- Avoid loneliness. As a societal being every human benefits from other personal human contact, especially with family. A computer social relationship is not personal human contact. Animals can only replace human contact so much. Recognize that variation boundaries for both social and private time requirements, men, woman, children, and the elderly differ.
- Too much mental stimulation or visual stimulation also has negative mental health consequences, however the appreciation of beauty can also be restorative.
- Avoid ugliness. A walk in nature, a garden or beautiful park is beneficial. Art and beautiful architecture can be restorative.
- Time spent working on a task that requires intense focus can also be restorative, like building, sewing, working on some other hobby or even mindless repetitive work. Any form of creating is usually restorative.
- Don’t forget play or laughter, a game or a sport as right recreation is restorative.
- Fulfilling duties and obligations first as required for your state in life also leads to greater life satisfaction and happiness.
- Taking on excess duties as not required for either your state in life or personal obligation to your immediate neighbor leads to less satisfaction and burnout. Obligation demand can ebb and flow with societal change. Learn to say yes and no dependent upon which side of the spectrum you fall.
- Generally speaking, the world is not your personal problem, and the majority of life satisfaction begins with you. Not every decision is a life and death decision but every decision has a consequence, there is no such thing as neutral.
- Knowing your temperament can aid in understanding your inherent nature, strengths and weaknesses, it is not written in stone and it is not a personality test. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of all four temperaments, accept your own but realize it can be adapted.
- Be grateful, being grateful helps modulate your perspective.
Moderation is key in all areas of life. Any imbalance creates more imbalance and less peace. That is just as true in mental health as physical health (homeostasis). Moderation helps a person control as much as they can control in life. It provides great stores of mental and physical endurance. Learning to control yourself, your thoughts, your words, your actions is among the greatest gifts you can give to yourself and it will help you avoid a lot of self destructive behavior, make better decisions in stress filled times and maintain a greater sense of equilibrium. Self discipline is an asset and learning to moderate from extremes is a difficult but necessary process in achieving goals and life satisfaction.
- Food quality is critical to nutrition.
- An understanding of the human diet is essential to maintaining a healthy relationship to food.
- Sunlight and oxygen are required for detoxification.
- Sleep is required for detoxification, especially of the brain.
- Movement is critical for repair.
- Healthy mental perspectives can change nearly every situation.
What can you do to achieve life balance?
I honestly can not abide diet extremists and the regimens and info they spread (a little bit of truth does not a whole truth make), and that most people end up abandoning in frustration. The majority of them have boatloads of supplements they sell or have to take to make up for their nutrition info inadequacy. What nutrition tips there are that actually work in minimal time or work at all would not fill a book and most of them don’t even have to do with food itself.
Alternavita – Right Track News